Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community

Home of the Alliance of Freelancer Gaming Community

HomePortal2GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to AoF Website!!

Security

Go down 
+3
Rattlesnake
Geromix
Albert
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Albert
Admin
Admin
Albert

Male
Number of posts : 655
Registration date : 2007-12-05
Phoenix Grace : 6067

Security Empty
PostSubject: Security   Security EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 6:59 am

I've been talking with Rattlesnake and he convinced me about the need of making an extra level of security.

Non-registered people are able now to see recuitment centers and general forums, that's ok.
Registered members are allowed to view the entire web (except leaders councils), that's not ok. Neutral

Registered members should be allowed to see just a few more forums, until they're invited by admins to join another member's group. Once in that group they'll be able to see the rest (except leaders councils). That's the way to control undesired registrations by unknown people.

So we need to build up a new group. I'd change the name of "Members" for "Registered" and create the group "Members" for allowed access. Maybe changing permissions it's enough, ...idk, got to have a look first.

Btw..., we need to clearify and put a bit of order in our forum's groups. There're too many and some of them are "individual" groups, what's that?!? Razz
Back to top Go down
Geromix
Admin
Admin
Geromix

Male
Number of posts : 1345
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Chief Mentor
Registration date : 2007-11-29
Phoenix Grace : 6772

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 7:05 am

Well firstly accessing forum areas,many parts like AoF Database,a few forums in Ogame forum are off limits for even registered members.

AoF Leadership Council is also kind of excluded.

Most groups are closed and AoF member Group is open but only Admins can admit new members into it.

Maybe we can change what the Guest can see etc.
But i do feel most of it is 'secured'.
Back to top Go down
https://aof-association.forumotion.com
Albert
Admin
Admin
Albert

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 7:11 am

So, we already have it. We have a group called "members" wich is for registered players, and another one called "AoF member group" for AoF's members, rite? scratch:
Back to top Go down
Geromix
Admin
Admin
Geromix

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 7:36 am

Yeah that is right.
Back to top Go down
Rattlesnake
AoF Leader
AoF Leader
Rattlesnake

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Phoenix Grace : 5679

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 pm

thank you for taking my suggestions into consideration...

Security is always something that needs to keep an eye on...

let me drop some input on how i organize some stuff on my forums...

First... on most of the phpbb forums, you should be able to create sections. I got public sections for public viewing with a few forums containing infos about all kindsa things. And i got a public section for registered members, wich contain forums for registered members only, but those forums contain non sensitive informations.

Then i have a non public section for members only. Those forums can be only viewed and accessed by members with appropriate permissions. Also there are some forums like for Leaders only, where only Leaders have access to discuss things about sensitive issues, wich may not be wanted to become accessable by other Members.
Also the non public sections are not visible for those without access. This is to prevent ppl from asking Admins all the ime, "there is this and that, why cant i see it"? What they dont see, wont make em nosy...

Therefor you are unlimited to create groups to control their permissions.
Now you can add certain members to each group, and by adding them, they will get permission for those groups, wich means, if you add someone to several groups that person will be granted the permissions of all the groups you added him.

At the beginning it takes a while to create all the groups testing the permissions. But once you got it setup, the only thing you have to do is, adding members to the groups... thats it.

Im not sure what kinda administrative options this particular forums here has, but the ones i do, have an option where you can test every single users permissions. If that option is not available, you can create a dummy for testing. Thats how i started years ago, when i started administrating forums, like hyperboards and stuff. Those forums back then didnt have all the special options as of today.

You can have a look on one of the forums on this url...

http://gwhma.informe.com/forum/

you wont see much there, since all the other sections and forums are hidden. But if you like to have a closer look, let me know and ill give you access to my dummy there...

i hope my little information gives you some input and if you have some questions, ill be more than happy to help.

R

p.s. one more thing, i dunno what kinda level of security this forum has according to avoid spam bots, but lately i see spam bots flooding other ppls forums like crazy. So just a headsup for future purposes. You may wanna have a look at the options for prevention, and options you have when it actually happens.
Its always good to be prepared, when shit hits the fan... :affraid: :idea: Exclamation: Exclamation:
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male
Number of posts : 511
AoF Organisation Role : AoF X-Wing Founder/President, AoF Tribal Wars Duke, AoF Forum Admin
Registration date : 2008-05-14
Phoenix Grace : 6263

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 12:50 pm

I also have quite a bit of experience in administrating forums and I have to agree (for the most part) with Rattlesnake. We definatly need to block all forums (except for recruitment forums) from everyone but known members. In order for this to work, we need to have either more administrators on this forum or for our current admins to be on more. I say this because I almost always have this forum open in a tab on my browser (I for the most part work from home so I can do that) and there is very seldem any admins on. We need admins to be on more so that if and when we make this change, new members can be added quickly to the AoF member group. I know (in my wing of AoF OGame at least) that after I recruited new members they applied to the AoF Members group and were not accepted within a week of requesting to join. This led said new members to believe that we are unorganized and poorly administrated and in turn caused them to leave our alliance.

Thanks for taking my thoughts into consideration

-Char561
Back to top Go down
x Arbiter x
AoF Leader
AoF Leader
x Arbiter x

Male
Number of posts : 202
AoF Organisation Role : Ikariam Grand Vizier
Registration date : 2008-09-13
Phoenix Grace : 5718

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 pm

I have quite some experience with administrating forums. I'm used to building sections, working with permissions, making sure everything is 100% final. I'm also online every day, which can be useful if new members want to join and need to enter a specific usergroup.
Back to top Go down
Albert
Admin
Admin
Albert

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm

That was my fault, Char. Embarassed:

I had no idea about that "AoF Member" group. I check forums every day and I can see if we have new registered members or not. From now I'll add the known users to that group.

1st Registration
2nd Recon username
3rd Add to AoF Member group

Ok, got it. lol!:
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male
AoF Organisation Role : AoF X-Wing Founder/President, AoF Tribal Wars Duke, AoF Forum Admin

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm

okay cool. And I can help by sending you lists of new members in all of my wings of the alliance
Back to top Go down
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin
Arch_Vile

Male
Number of posts : 906
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Ikariam Kappa, Leader/Home Secretary
Phoenix Grace : 6404

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 6:30 am

btw juz so you know i have already did that...in which members of forum can view certain parts of the forum while those in the "AoF members" usergroup can view all...for example in ikariam branch thread "AoF members in ikariam" where viewers are able to see the coordinates of all members are not viewable by juz mere members in this i meant by ordinary members...only AoF members in the "AoF members" usergroup can see this vital info...

which is why if u noticed that for the past few days/weeks i been telling others to sent me a request to join the said usergroup...

btw you can checks this out at the admin panel Smile

oh btw char...its my fault actually i was the admin for the said usergroup,i been busy and missed those applications but i already step up on that duty of mine and have been telling others to sent me a request to be in that group and also checking the admin panel to see any new members that have joined in past few days that i might missed only that i see names that i cant recongnize... also think we need someone to cover me on this one.

and yeah plz do tell members to register using their in-game names and also its good idea that other branch inform me of new members that have joined so that i can look em up.
Back to top Go down
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin
Arch_Vile

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 6:41 am

oh yeah btw the way if you notice theres one new forum member called emperor zen, thats me...im using it as test username on forum security and im telling ya it works well so far...
Back to top Go down
Emperor Zen

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-11
Phoenix Grace : 5647

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 6:47 am

yeah its true...i cant see the ogame's resourse,research and fleet update which have a some vital things as well as ikariam's members in which it showed members coordinates...and yeah i think it worked well,but of course u can add those branch or area in which you think can be see by me Smile

ps dont put me in that AoF usergroup as i want it this way better Wink

Zen and Kev
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm

I actually can't check it out on the admin panel being as I am still not an admin. Also, might I suggest that you give group mod privilages for that group to someone who is on frequently and not an admin since admins can manage the group without being group mod? This would help by giving more people the ability to add members to that group to more people and would help in my opinion.
Again these are just my suggestions.
-Char561
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 1:13 pm

also I can voulenteer to do this if someone either wants to make me an admin or a moderator of said groups.
Back to top Go down
Albert
Admin
Admin
Albert

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:33 pm

I think we're achieving the point where we should merge this thread with the Ogame Leadership reform thread.

I think ALL AoF members should know our leadership structure, like Kevlar did, and ALL AoF members (and much more its leaders) should know what are leaders suposed to do and what are they able to do. Also who takes care of what specific thing, and I'm including "in-game" and "in-forums".

We're a lot of members playing diff. games with diff. ranks, attitudes, etc. If we don't put a bit of order we'll have all kind of little problems.
Back to top Go down
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin
Arch_Vile

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Agree we can put it the way i did but put the leaders of the specific branch be known to the branch or game they are in like eg Ikariam leaders are to be known at Ikariam branch.

Also my AoF Organization Structure needs updating but sadly i aint got Microsoft Word to make the changes Sad
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm

I agree with you Albert, this is definatly true. Like I said before, all of what I had said were just suggestions. And Kevlar, I can make those changes for you since I have microsoft word if you wanna PM me with what you want changed and to what.
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Now that I have admin status on the forums I will make sure that all new members are promptly added to the AoF Member group and whatever other groups they are a part of.
Back to top Go down
Geromix
Admin
Admin
Geromix

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 2:53 am

Dont add new members to Groups just like that.

U got to check a few things like whether this guy is known by other members,whether he has formally introduced himself and whether he sent an invitation to join AoF Member Group.
Back to top Go down
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin
Arch_Vile

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 am

....or whether his name is the same as in-game. for me that'll do coz if he is wif us in-game but not in the AoF member group, it means hes not 100% in the family or should i say "one of the phoenix".
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend
Char561

Male

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 9:08 am

Ya I know. It is easy for me to do with my wings though being as I know who they all are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Security Empty
PostSubject: Re: Security   Security Empty

Back to top Go down

Security
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community :: Forum Updates and Technical Help :: Forum Updates-
Jump to: