Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1345
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Chief Mentor
Registration date : 2007-11-29
Phoenix Grace : 4788

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 8:14 am

I don't like this radical site at all.

This is meant to be a gaming forum.Less of social networking.

Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-04-07
Phoenix Grace : 3596

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 9:17 am

Hmmm well it's up to you of course
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.designaweb.us
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 906
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Ikariam Kappa, Leader/Home Secretary
Phoenix Grace : 4420

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:05 am

wat u saying "this is a gaming forum,less of social networking"? yet u asked for members to be active here. it is a forum where we discuss stuff from game we play to other things,with that spam thread and watever things.isnt that socializing?

oh btw even ur recruitiment msg that i see always have saying "make new frens"...blah blah.

btw about telling info about the Xfire thing, i know i did inform my guys so far 3-4 have it the rest just cant be bothered about it i guess.

bout mentoring, yeah we had it last year no one is interest except for sangheili...

anyway heres the broken link i gave ya, the correct one this time....http://holystaralliance.freeforums.org/

SEMPERVIREN IMPERIUM[53:26]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male
Number of posts : 511
AoF Organisation Role : AoF X-Wing Founder/President, AoF Tribal Wars Duke, AoF Forum Admin
Registration date : 2008-05-14
Phoenix Grace : 4279

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:09 am

I also think it should be more of a forum and less of everything else on there. Some of the features are cool, dont get me wrong, but I think that the primary purpose of the site should be the forums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titan
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 895
AoF Organisation Role : AoF President
Registration date : 2007-12-03
Phoenix Grace : 4366

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:13 am

DarkGhost wrote:
Well if u want an overall idea of what i think of the recruitment process... We have 300 users, atleast 250 are bound to be inactive. We have inactivity in most games and the death of a number of branchs last month. We also have a large pile of information that the leaders are suppose to dish out to the members but they dont. For example, i dont think any of them have mentioned Xfire to their members etc. The info that we need going out isnt and if they dont do it someones got to.

As for the process being complicated and the old system being alright i think its clear to say by the inactivity of the branch forums that recruitment on forum has turned into a minimal. So its a waste putting 5 forums for the job a proper application for that looks good to new members could solve.

For games like Ogame, Ikariam and all when people join they have only 2 things to look at before they join. ur info page ingame & ur site. If they dont get taken in by both on first sight u can be sure as hell weve lost a candidate. Its a big world out in the side of recruiting and their are always new methods coming onto the path so maybe we should get out of the old process.

No offence but their are other clans out dere and they look good. If u wernt here and seen how we operate would u really pick here over one that looks more professional. i dont think i would. Its a harsh reality of competition between communitys for members.

feel free to correct me if im wrong,
Ghosty

Well you know i disagree but your points are noted, but i know for a fact that some leaders have informed their members of Xfire, especially Kevlar. So i can correct you on that one ehh? Smile

I have given my reasons already but if their is a problem with the recruitment then honestly i think it is more trying to get our name more noticed so we can attract members. Imo it is that we actually don't get pottential members looking at the site and it is not because we look 'unprofessional' or the recruitment applications are bad. This is what i think but it is quite hard to prove this but maybe asking new members what attracted them to AoF and getting more detail from them would be useful then we might get an idea of how we could improve recruitment.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male
AoF Organisation Role : AoF X-Wing Founder/President, AoF Tribal Wars Duke, AoF Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:19 am

I also have to disagree with you ghosty. The one application for all of the games is way to complicated and people would get annoyed by filling in just the parts that apply to them. I dont think that the system we have now is a problem. Your point about the website looking more professional and operating more smoothly has really nothing to do with a standardized application form. They are all very different games and need very different information when deciding the status of an application. This is why there is not just one standard application process when you get old enough apply for a job. Very different places, very different applications.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DarkGhost
AoF Legend
AoF Legend

Male
Number of posts : 780
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Executive - Administrative Director
Registration date : 2007-12-15
Phoenix Grace : 4404

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:41 am

All i can say is if u cant seem to understand what 'Fill in appropraite branch form' is then i would stamp a REJECTED on it because they got to be some sort of 10 year old idiot. im suprised that they manage to get as far as finding the site. not to mention even manage to use google.

Also the look is actually extremely related. If a clan expected me to make a post and another had a form id go for the form because obviously they put some effort into their clan recruitment. As for the information u all add 60% same info on ur forms. That info is the top that is not hidden. The rest is reveal the appropriate and fill it in.

Very diffrent places, very similar applications.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
techno_kid
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:48 am

I'm not going to comment on the recruitment here because I'm not involved enough to tell people what to do.

The forum / social networking bit though. Ask yourself a question. Are we a community? Yes? Well do we want a community site? or do we just want to discuss things?
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 am

Well, it is quite obvious that you believe you are right, as you always do. There it absolutly no use trying to persuade you differently because then you will just get angry and post mean things. I am done discussing this and will leave it up to the rest of you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

And techno, I agree that there should be some aspect of social networking involved with our site but your test site has so much useless stuff that we would never use and doesnt even have a forum. We are obviously not going to use it for dating, we are also not going to use it to run classified ads, and we would not use even half of the stuff that this site has to offer. Why have all of this stuff on a site if it will NEVER be used? I think that is the question we should be asking ourselves. Another question; Why do we need to pay for this site when techno can set it up for free (as made evident with the test site). I am more than willing to contribute money to a website if we will actually use it but this test site doesnt seem like something AoF would really use. I think we should either stick to these forums, buy a personalized domain name for this forum, or but a new website to be used primarily as a forum.

These are just my opinions as a potential donor but I would still like to hear what you others have to say.

Thanks,
Char561
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titan
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:03 pm

I would have to agree with the last post by Char561. Nothing there i would disagree with.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DarkGhost
AoF Legend
AoF Legend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm

ok so recruitment stays the same.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 pm

@Ghosty- I am not saying that recruitment has to stay the same, I was merely voicing my opinions. I am by no means (to use a George W. Bushism) "The Decider". I would still like to hear what everyone else has to say about this. I was also pointing out that there is no point in argueing with you because you get nasty when people oppose your ideas. I am sorry if I have in any way offended you with what I said earlier as that was not my intent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 pm

And I am glad to have your agreement on this Titan. Now we just have to wait and see where all the other members and leaders (and especially the donors) stand on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titan
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:22 pm

DarkGhost wrote:
ok so recruitment stays the same.

Am also not saying to rule out the idea i just think it is fine how it is, I still would like to hear what others think of the idea of course.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
techno_kid
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 pm

woah!! all attack me!! i never get angry Smile im a nice person

the test site is done via my personal server which i manage at home in my spare time playing with bits and peices and constantly breaking it as DG found out last night. therefore, i cannot afford to host yours there
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Noone was attacking you techno.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
techno_kid
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 pm

gdgd its just the

Quote :
Well, it is quite obvious that you believe you are right, as you always do. There it absolutly no use trying to persuade you differently because then you will just get angry and post mean things
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh, sorry that was directed at ghosty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:55 pm

I dont know much about you so I cant go making judgements about you but him on the otherhand, he has been a member of the forums for years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
techno_kid
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 pm

ah okey doke. the thing is, you can turn features off on the full on site
Back to top Go down
Char561
AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 pm

right, but i would just assume get a forum site without all the extras we would never use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DarkGhost
AoF Legend
AoF Legend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Well how dont u know we wouldnt use them?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geromix
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1345
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Chief Mentor
Phoenix Grace : 4788

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Tue May 12, 2009 11:29 pm

DarkGhost wrote:
Well how dont u know we wouldnt use them?

The reason why people won't use them is because people don't socialize here,so there is very little chance for any kind of socializing there.

Yes,char has got it all right,my point is not to stop socializing but have less of it,i was really puzzled by that fact there was no forum there.
Too many extras.

Threads like Uber Spam posts are basic socializing aspects constructed within a forum.
Some basics are needed but that is just about it.

The main aim is to get a forum with decent functionality and it should be good looking.The donors would be paying for that as char has mentioned and not for this.

Maybe when we have got that we can build on it bit by bit and add some features here and there,but first we need to get the basics-A Forum.
And then build on it.

Well now we even have credits to buy a domain name,and i am going for it.
In the event we move to a new forum,we just shift the domain name which we can do.

If we are really serious about this paid site,we need to get this going,fix a deadline for fund collection etc.
I have sent u a PM techno,and i want detailed answers on everything from exact amount per year to ownership to separate paypal account to how all this would be set up.

In hind sight i would say,we have grown too quickly,and that is why we are facing difficulties regarding recruitment and retaining members.
Lots of members,difficult to mentor everybody,we should go for mentorship but do that for potential leaders,to train and guide them.

It cannot be done for everybody.

I cannot say much about recruitment.It is too complex a subject,with different branches having different needs.
We can make real application forms for every branch,at the moment the form is a forum post and links to it are given on a Portal block.

We could make forms as Ghosty has said but instead of having one have many for each branch,at the same time we can retain the recruitment forums of each branch and the recruitment threads.

A compromise.

AoF Friend
AoF Friend

Male

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   Wed May 13, 2009 12:47 am

I completely agree Geromix. I do not think that we should entirely do away with social networking but a good forum should be the main priority
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personalized domain name   

Back to top Go down

Personalized domain name
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next