Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community

Home of the Alliance of Freelancer Gaming Community

HomePortal2GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to AoF Website!!

A new era in gaming

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Geromix
Admin
Admin
Geromix

Male
Number of posts : 1345
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Chief Mentor
Registration date : 2007-11-29
Phoenix Grace : 6801

A new era in gaming Empty
PostSubject: A new era in gaming   A new era in gaming EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 am

Streaming games service launched

By Maggie Shiels

Technology reporter, BBC News, San Francisco

A new online video game distribution network hopes to revolutionise the way people play games and re-write the economics of the industry.

OnLive, to be launched at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, aims to let players stream on-demand games at the highest quality level.

The service could provide competition for Playstation, Xbox, and the Wii.

"OnLive is the most powerful game system in the world," said company founder Steve Perlman

"No high-end hardware, no upgrades, no endless downloads, no discs, no recalls, no obsolescence. With OnLive, your video game experience is always state-of-the-art," he declared.

Mr Perlman said that the company has developed a data compression technology that allows games to be powered on remote servers rather than on game consoles.

Users download games instantly through the OnLive MicroConsole or straight onto a PC or Mac. The MicroConsole also connects to any TV. All that is required is a high speed connection.

Gamers will be able to select from an on-demand catalogue of video titles stored on these data servers. The Palo Alto based company promises that the service will provide instant access to the most advanced games in the world, solo and multiplayer.

To date nine publishers have signed up including familiar names like Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, THQ and Atari Interactive.

'A world without consoles'

Initial reaction from the gaming press has been a mixture of the positive and the sceptical.

Sid Shuman of GamePro told PC World "When we finally got hands-on with OnLive, I gotta admit, I was impressed."

Michael McWhertor of Kotaku.com admitted "We were a little suspicious of OnLive's capability to deliver perceptually lag-free on-demand games. But then we played a hasty online game of Crysis Wars on the service and became a little less suspicious. It seemed to work.

"Will it work in the wild? It might," concluded Mr McWhertor.

At VentureBeat, which is holding its own games conference called GamesBeat, Dean Takahasi said "OnLive's technology could eventually sweep through all forms of entertainment and applications, providing the missing link in helping the internet take over our living rooms."

"It remains to be seen if this is just vapourware," said Cesar A. Beradini of TeamXbox.com.

"The real question is what would happen if this actually works as promised? Is it the end of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as console manufacturers?"
he asked.

From that standpoint Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities told USA Today "OnLive shows the potential for a gaming world without consoles" if the pricing is right.

According to Mr Perlman a new era for gaming is here.

"We've cleared the last remaining hurdle for the video games industry: effective online distribution.

"By putting the value back into the games themselves and removing the reliance on expensive, short-lived hardware, we are dramatically shifting the economics of the industry. Delivering games instantly to the digital living room is the promise game fans have been waiting for," he said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

Here is the link-
www.onlive.com

-Geromix
Back to top Go down
https://aof-association.forumotion.com
Arch_Vile
Admin
Admin
Arch_Vile

Male
Number of posts : 906
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Ikariam Kappa, Leader/Home Secretary
Phoenix Grace : 6433

PostSubject: Re: A new era in gaming   A new era in gaming EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 5:53 am

Well idk...does it means that if i want to play Xbox games on PC i can juz download it of OnLive?? Ah well gotta read that article...
Back to top Go down
Geromix
Admin
Admin
Geromix

Male
Number of posts : 1345
AoF Organisation Role : AoF Chief Mentor
Phoenix Grace : 6801

PostSubject: Re: A new era in gaming   A new era in gaming EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 6:01 am

Kevlar_Uranus wrote:
Well idk...does it means that if i want to play Xbox games on PC i can juz download it of OnLive?? Ah well gotta read that article...

Well yes,and that too "instantly" as the company claims.

Only prob is atm it is meant for US alone i think. Rolling Eyes:
Back to top Go down
https://aof-association.forumotion.com
Comfort
Admin
Admin
Comfort

Male
Number of posts : 1158
AoF Organisation Role : Ikariam Home Secretary
Registration date : 2007-12-14
Phoenix Grace : 6417

PostSubject: Re: A new era in gaming   A new era in gaming EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 am

Well, this could be interesting. Although I'd really like to keep the consoles... more fun to play games while doing something on your PC. Takes the boredom out of loading times Rolling Eyes:

I'd expect this to arrive in Europe within 2 months after the USA get it, and at least 1 year before we get it, lol. India will probably get it about 9 months after... probably slower. Anywhere else... I would have an opinion, but I can't be bothered making one up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new era in gaming   A new era in gaming Empty

Back to top Go down

A new era in gaming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alliance of Freelancers - Gaming Community :: Extras :: Other Games+Propose Games for AoF to Play-
Jump to: